Saturday, December 12, 2020

Kitchen Remodel, Week 6

I feel like we're coming in for the home stretch.  The granite arrived.  Actually, before it even made the turn onto our lane, a neighbor called to tell me it was here and she thought it was beautiful.  I was thrilled!

And here it is.  It's 10 feet by 4.5 feet weighing in at 920 pounds!  



Inch by painful inch they lowered the trailer down our driveway and,  hopefully into the garage.  


Yea, not quite. 


They called in the rest of the crew to, oh so carefully, slide it onto the cart.  I decided I wanted it on the island in the other direction so they spun it around in the garage and carefully moved it into the house.


Onto the island, hmmmm.  Would you boys mind spinning it around again?  Not certain I want it like that.  They did.  Then they all took votes and decided to spin it one more time because they didn't want to cut into that much of the blue.  "Okay," I said, "Do what makes you happy."  (I was in agreement but they were so happy that I let them vote.)



The slab is so beautiful the guys did NOT want to cut out the hole for the cooktop.  "Please, Miss Shon, don't make me do it!"  They moved here from South Carolina.  I thought I was sick of being called Ma'am, I just gritted my teeth every time Zach referred to me as Miss Shon.  Nice boys with excellent southern manners.  "I'd be fine with that, Zach, but where do propose putting the cooktop and be prepared to relocate the exhaust hood."  The tenting took place.  


Then they cut the holes for the faucet and instant hot.  Then window sill was installed.


The next day David arrived to install the glass/slate backsplash.  I'm in love with it!  


In this picture the counter looks blue, it's really a sage green.


Plumber and electrician bailed so no functioning kitchen this weekend.  Really, if that's the largest problem I've encountered this week, we're good.  The sink is large enough for a full size sheet tray to lay down flat.  NICE!  It is a composite sink (made from ground up quartz).  The showroom sales person said that her friend's kitchen burned down.  The only thing that was salvaged was the composite sink.  They are indestructible.  I just didn't want a black one.  The ledge about half way down is for a rubberized shelf, works similar to a colander.  


We we are supposed to be wrapped up by next Friday.  Last of the flooring for the stairs and office, electricians, plumbers, painter, appliances and finally the cleaning crew.  It's been a real "treat" living in dust and boxes, but it will be so worth it in the end.  End of week 6.  So pleased with the progress!

And thanks for all your comments on the island.  It's even more beautiful in person, do stop by when you have a chance!  I'll be cooking up a storm, there is always coffee, tea, wine or whatever available.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...