Thursday, November 5, 2020

Kitchen Remodel, Days 3 and 4

 November 5, 2020

Wednesday was the plumber.  He came, he plumbed, he left.

Scary moment:  the contractor and his carpenter were looking at the electrical box at the end of the L.  "Hm, says one, it says MICRO on it."  I've only ever used it for a motion detector night light.  The microwave requires a dedicated circuit and is wired directly to the breaker box.  Once the cabinets were removed we could see that the microwave box power line lay on the floor and draped from that box to the wall, made a turn was incased in ROMEX (not conduit) for the 18 inches behind the dishwasher and then back to naked wire to the spot where the microwave was located.  If a mouse decided to chew on it I shudder to think what would have happened!  Can't believe it got past inspection.  Did the owners move the microwave during construction?  I don't know.  But my house could have burned down!  I'm grateful that Mikey is an amazing mouser.  

Today was electricians.  We had three of them.  Morning meeting w contractor included comments:  HIM: we should move the box three inches to the left.  ME:  no, leave it where it is.  But I will need power to the KitchenAid lift cabinet.  ELECTRICIAN:  What is that?  ME:  Just the most amazing thing EVER!  Once he understood what it was and how it works he was quite impressed.  Oh, yes, and to the trash compactor (Gary is so pleased to get a compactor, which I had nixed because I wasn't giving up space for my lift.  We got both.

CONTRACTOR:  Well, Gary and I got what we both wanted (the window will remain and we moved the hutch to where the pantry was) so you get all the rest.  ME:  I get what I want, if you can make that happen and keep the window, so much the better.  So Gary gets not only his sainted window, but a trash compactor as well.  He's a happy man!

Electrician was going to have to run conduit on the outside of the house to get the dedicated line to the new location of the microwave.  But turns out he's a really smart guy.  He decides to drop the line down the wall into the lower level (dirt room) below so that all the wiring can be inside.  His first thought (out loud, not so smart) was, "Well, we could tear out the ceiling in the room downstairs."  ME:  "NO!  You will NOT impact my quilt studio.  The end!"  Electrician doing the smart thing (and not thinking out loud again.)


Moving the lower L lights to align with the kitchen lights as the lower L is gone forever.  The new location of the lights will be on the end piece of the island.


Workers are gone, Mikey is inspecting their work.  His butt is now white, wonder who's been sitting in chalk dust.  


So I'm sitting in my neighbors Arizona Room (enclosed outer deck) and I suddenly blurted out: "Next Thursday I'll have the start of my new cabinets in!  Oh my, I'm so excited!

And for those of you who disapproved of my attire during the wall demo . . . . I LOVED IT!  Thanks for your love and caring and I couldn't have cared less!  Every day I'm grateful that we can get this done, every day I have to soften and calm the cats, every day we are one day closer to an amazing kitchen, every day I give thanks that we can make this happen.  

I send you blessings every day that you can also achieve your dreams.  Trust me, it's satisfying!

Stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. I still remember your last amazing kitchen. Kitchens are definitely your thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would love to have one of those KitchenAid lift cabinet. That's the one thing I'm missing. The thing is so heavy!

    ReplyDelete

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...