Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Paris 2019, Day 1

We're back and loving it!

First, we couldn't get a direct flight from PHX to CDG unless we flew British Air and that wasn't happening.  Last year Gary and I flew BA to Heathrow in Premium Economy, couldn't have been worse unless we had been stuck with Delta, then I would have revolted because 10 years ago, Bea, Carolyn and I flew Delta on our trip to Italy and it was horrible.   So when I went to book our flight from PHX to CDG we had a stop over in ATL (Atlanta) on Delta (ARGH!) then transfer to Air France to CDG.

Well things change in 10 years.  Delta was a wonderful flight (we were assigned to Sky Priority in Comfort Plus class.  It was quite nice and we were very comfortable.  A couple of hours layover so we had an afternoon snack in a WONDERFUL bar in the international terminal, Jekyll Island.  We started with a Shrimp Cocktail (6 large poached shrimp) and Sharon supplemented with a pair of beautiful crab cakes (I was too full).  She had a Georgia Peach cocktail while I enjoyed a Scotch, neat.  Perfect amount of food/drink.

The 8 hour evening flight across the pond was uneventful  Sharon watched 3 movies while I completed 5 (she can nap, I cannot).  Oh my, went I went to cram my feet into my Danskos it was very difficult.  Typically we walk the plane when we have a long flight, but other than once to go to the far rear for a potty call, I never left my seat and my feet swelled.  By the time we cleared customs they were almost back to normal; once we collected our luggage, exited and found our driver (there's something quite nice about dragging yourself and your baggage out to a hoard of people holding out signs and spotting your name.  I still get a thrill to see a stranger holding up a sign with my name on it!  (doesn't take much to make me happy)

Arrived at our hotel and there was Rashid and Madame!  They have both been here for all of our trips, Rashid manning the deak and Madame running the breakfast room (and much else I suspect but that's how I "see" what she's about.  One year Rashid wasn't here ... turns out that he was completing college and is now managing the hotel.  Madame (I never knew her name) lit up when we entered and it was European cheek kisses and big USA hugs around.  Nothing better than starting a trip with excellent flights, prompt livery service, and finding hotel people you remember and who remembers you with such joy!

For once they are not full (winter months!) and our room was ready.  We went straight up, unpacked and crashed.  14 hours later we were both ready for a hot shower, breakfast and a good walk.

This morning we woke at 5am (we slept for 14 hours, remember!).  Eventually I crawled out of bed and got that hot shower I mentioned.  Mmmmmm, wonderful.  Sharon reminded me that the breakfast room doesn't open at 6 like I thought, it opened at 7.  Hmmm, okay I'll make an instant Starbucks that she is never without.  Blech, but I was desperate.  Still blech, but I partied on.

Finally went downstairs at 6:45 hoping they were ready and they were.  WHAT?  Everything had changed.  They had machines to make coffee ... which I was struggling to try to understand.  All the pictures of coffee had a foaming something, I just wanted a large cup of black coffee.  I had to resort to asking the night desk clerk to help me.  Coffee, no milk, PLEASE!  He just grinning at me and pointed to one of the coffee pictures that had foam on it, I don't remember what the label was but he assured me that it would not include milk.  I had three cups, delicious!

And I found the egg immersion cooker (can't remember the proper name), Sharon and I've been fixated on soft boiled eggs.  Took me three tries to get an edible egg (I'm usually lame on the first day).  Instead of being presented on a bed of ice, the yogurt and meats were in a small fridge.  Night clerk chuckled at me as I exclaimed that everything was new and hard to find ... my tiny hotel was getting a facelift and I was struggling with the changes.  All these new upgrades meant that the kitchen lady wasn't there anymore to be of assistance.  Hmmm, appliances replacing the working staff.  Bunny, you and I have had this conversation on more than one occasion.

Eventually, Sharon came down (this is our Paris habit, she grabs a few minutes more sleep as I'm in the shower and before I deal with my hair, I dash downstairs to grab some drinkable coffee and figure the the egg timing.  She finishes her morning routine and glides into the breakfast room all refreshed and then tries to find things in the breakfast room.

Eventually we're ready to find our first Christmas Market, and decide to go to the Tuileries.  Okay, so we're excited and managed to get there 90 minutes before they opened.  We walked, nothing was remotely ready, so we crossed the street to window shop and found a cafe.  I was looking for tea, Sharon suggested Mimosa and I was easily diverted from thoughts of tea.  It was a lovely cafe; not one employee was standing around looking at their phones, everyone was industrious, one polishing windows, one polishing shiny silver serving vessels, one sweeping floors, one moving things, setting tables, etc.

Our server could not have been more charming.


Really, olives at 10am?  Blech!  Sharon thought they were delicious.  At least they didn't go to waste.  We had a lime slice on the glass and a ton of pulp from the freshly squeezed oranges in our mimosas.  A lovely start to our day!

Eventually we made our way back to our first market.  It was sweet but a bit too much like a child's carnival.

Cute pic of Sharon with Santa

Weather was a bit chilly with a wonderful, gentle spray, what I've always described a "Humboldt Drizzle"

We decided that we were done with the kid's place and we would move on to La Defense as they had two markets, so we had a bit of drama at the Metro station (I had demagnetized my pass and Sharon's blew away) but once we got everything resolved, we moved on.

We had never stopped at LaDefense so it was fun to see this area.  Did I get a photo of the enormous Arc?  No I did not.  You all know about the Arc de Triomphe, well it is the middle arc: there are three in line with each other.  The giant Arc is located in LaDefense.  It is HUGE, I don't know how many floors, maybe 20.  Read more by Googling it:


The third Arc is near the entrance to the Lourve.  It is a much smaller version on the Arc de Triomphe and us typically noted as a meeting place for various tours.  They are all in line with each other.

Anyway, there are, in fact two markets at LaDefense and we enjoyed both.  Sharon always feels comforted when we see militia or police patrolling with their uzies.  I'm terribly uncomfortable.  Regardless, there they were, 12 years old carrying very large guns.  Stalls here were quite nice with lots of lovely things, we both enjoyed checking things out, much drooling, little buying.

I overdid my walking (not unusual for us in Paris) and my thighs are burning.  Actually that's a good thing as I've eating everything in sight.  Well, I managed to drop 5 pounds in preparation for the feasting.  

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  I hope all of you have a wonderful day shared with family, good friends and food, and remember your blessings!

Love 
Shon & Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...