Friday, November 3, 2017

Leaving Humboldt

Where to start?  How about ... Goodbye Humboldt

It all started innocently enough, Gary came home and announced that he was ready to leave Humboldt.  I’d been harboring this thought for some time and replied simply, “I can make that happen!”

You know the rest, we bought a house in Prescott, AZ

We were very lucky to find the perfect people to rent our Garberville home to and made our plans to move.  Pretty certain my liver would not survive one more farewell party -- they were sure fun ... and painful ... and a poignant reminder that in the nearly 18 years we lived in Humboldt we enjoyed a cornucopia of wonderful friends from all walks. I loved getting to know them and left a huge part of my heart (including our daughter 😔) as we chose to move on.

Lori noted that she had accomplished nothing at home the last week as she chose to hang with us every possible evening; "no worries," I said, "bring your laundry here!"  We already have a flight and car rental back to Humboldt as we are looking forward to celebrating Jerry & Nancy Wilson's 60th wedding anniversary on November 19th; our dear friend, Bea has agreed to put us up, I'm looking forward to reconnecting.

Back to the move:  Sergio (our driver) and his hand picked crew of three (Wren, Brian and Blake) spent Monday and part of Tuesday packing.  The estimator wholly under-estimated the number of boxes we would need so on Tuesday they brought the 26 ft "shuttle" truck loaded with more boxes and paper and blankets.  Shuttle, you ask, let me explain.  Our driveway in Garberville was long, steep with a tight curve in it.  Our moving van couldn't make it up when we arrived (it was a 45 ft van).  Sergio's van is 53 feet.  Not gunna happen!  And, of course, we bought a home with an impossible hill and a too tight turn, so we needed to shuttle on both ends.  At least this time we knew it ahead of time.

Wren was packing my sewing room when he came out searching for me with a picture in his hands.  It was me with my two brothers one Christmas at Mom's.  Bill was wearing a San Bernardino City Fire Department shirt.  Wren pointed to Bill and asked if his shirt was from SBCFD.  "Why yes, he just retired from the department."  Wren was all animated, exclaiming that his fiance's father just retired from the same FD!  He immediately pulled out his phone and made a call as I texted my brother.  Yes, his soon to be father-in-law announced, I know Bill well, we're having lunch on Thursday!  We are all just six degrees from Kevin Bacon, or Bill Beaumont!

We pulled out of town on Wednesday at about 1:30 with such mixed emotions and two neurotic cats.  I was wondering how they were going to do once we captured them and loaded them into my car.  They were loaded up on Wednesday at about noon and not released until we arrived at our house around 3pm on Friday -- it was hard on them but they were true troopers, crying from time to time, but mostly just pouting and drawing strength from each other.  Twice a day I carefully removed the litter box, replacing it with kibble and water for about 30 minutes, then reversing it.  They have always been self feeders, so that was especially difficult.  They appear to be settled in now, Harvey slept the entire day today instead of following me around all day and chatting.  They seem to love having a downstairs and chase each other up and down the steps constantly.

More soon.......


1 comment:

  1. How interesting that it was Gary who came to you saying that he was ready.
    Thank goodness that you finally blogged a bit, I was beginning to worry.
    I am thrilled that you will go back for Nancy & Jerry's 60th. I have fretted over them losing you guys. Yes Lori I have fretted over you as well sweetheart.
    I can't wait to hear of more adventures. Rest well my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...