Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Kindness of Friends

When I last blogged, I described "The Kindness of Strangers" about the theft of my purse and wallet and the amazing strangers who lifted me up along the way.  I must tell you that the outpouring of love and kindness continues to amaze me and provides hope for the future.  And then, my friends.  They have emerged from the woodwork!

I did battle with my insurance company (USAA) and, not surprisingly, the insurance company won (they have weasel words not included in the policy document but buried in their website).  Okay, I could have pursued it, but it wouldn't have turn out well and I was an emotional wreck by that time.  I just wanted it to be over.  So, I accepted their offer and tried to put it all behind me.

Here's a surprise!  Gary's college fraternity buddy is a diamond broker!  Who knew?  Not me.  Gary contacted "Diamond John" who kindly offered us a "family and friends" big discount on whatever I wanted.  

There was no possible way I was going to allow USAA gemologists or jewelers to "reproduce" my grandmother's ring from a photograph.  I knew that I would never be satisfied and would forever resent them for the attempt.  Gawd, I loved that ring.  But I knew that I would have to move on.


About a week after I settled with USAA, I contacted Diamond John.  I had been wearing various earrings (none matching and all bugging me).  We discussed what I needed in order to return my ears to their "normal" bling mode.  He sent me choices of settings, colors, diamond options, backings, etc.  Seriously, I was miserable.  

John and I agreed on sizes, shapes, settings, backings and such.  Very shortly they were acquired (by him), set by his team and shipped to me and at price I could easily afford given my insurance payment.  My ears sparkle once again.  What's fun is that my friends who notice (most do), have commented quickly and forcefully that once again I look like I'm in balance and happy.  I am, I love bling!



So, I'm feeling like I'm back (sort of) when I get a text from a friend in California.  Actually, Tammy is a former colleague.  We were never what I would have considered "friends", but she was the local bank branch manager, President of my Rotary Club, and someone I respected in town.  She handled the surprise sale of her bank to another with such professionalism and aplomb that I knew she was a better person than I.  We are small town/Facebook "friends".  

About a bit more than a week ago I get a text from Tammy.  She saw this for sale in a post and remembered I always wore my grandmother's ring and knew about the theft.  She asked if this was it.


Like I said, Tammy and I were small town banking colleagues, met at professional functions and were polite.  Did she have to reach out?  No, she did not.  But she did.  When she sent this picture I broke out in ugly sobs.  No, this was not my ring, but a friend had reached out in an attempt to help.  It took me by such surprise (and gratitude) that I experienced an explosive meltdown.  

I've been gone from SoHum for four years.  But small towns remember.  I'm in regular contact with my "tribe" (you know who you are) and various good friends and people I love/respect and others through Facebook (I also continue to make regular donations to the local Hospice and Redheaded Blackbelt because I sincerely believe in these two groups).  There is nothing like living in a small town and (finally) breaking through (it took many years).  I have lived in MANY towns over my 70 years, big and small, military and civilian.  Nothing compares to SoHum.  It took forever to be accepted, but wow, it was so worth it!

Thank you, Tammy, for reaching out in an attempt to help, remembering my frightening experience, and offering your assistance.  I can't tell you how much that meant to me, continues to mean to me, and reminds me of how much I loved living in your small community.  

I continue to hope that those perps find their own karma and that it is dreadful.  I'm sad for the loss of my mother's wedding set (she firmly believed that a woman received her jewelry from her mother or her husband which is why I got her wedding set, nice to be the only girl child), I grieve the loss of Mumu's ring (my grandmother who hated to be called Grandmother so we shortened her name (Mary) to Mumu).  

But my ears sparkle again.  Thank you, Gary, for reaching out to your buddy, Diamond John.  Thank you, Diamond John, for some lovely bling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...