Thursday, February 11, 2021

Close Enough, a few small things left but I'm calling it done!

 

November 2020 Before
It really looks nice, but was not functional.  And that wet bar/peninsula made me crazy walking around it during parties.  It was simply in the way.  I knew something had to be done when I was considering getting out a BIG hammer.  Yes, I've done that before.


February 2021 After
Island is twice as long, lower "L" has been removed, pantry has been moved to the other side of the microwave, next to the window.  Wet bar has been replaced with a movable tea cart.

November 2020 Before

I've never been a fan of dark granite, so hard to see messes.  Also not a fan of having to display "stuff" on top of the cupboards.  The cooktop was ENORMOUS but only had four burners in addition to a grill and a griddle (I never used either).  New cooktop has five burners and is simply wonderful.

February 2021 After
I wanted to replace the window with a garden window but contractor talked me out of it.  Hardwood has been replaced with vinyl planks of different sizes and shades.  See the garage at the end of the counter?  It hides my food sucker, a recipe box, and wine opener.  Cupboards go all the way to the ceiling ... storage!

Best Sink Ever!
Made of crushed quartz this sink is amazing.  Every giant pan or sheet pan sits flat.  The wired shelf extends to 2/3 of the sink on that small edge.  I love this sink!  The small hole on the right is for the InstaHot which will, in the fullness of time, get installed (I'm holding back $10,000 from the final bill until it's in).

10' by 4.5'  Isn't it awesome!
I also had the granite people cut me a piece for a pastry board which sits on the end.  I just love it!

November 2020 Before
The peninsula/wet bar and the world's smallest pantry.  There was a small hutch on the other side.


February 2021 After
New hutch.  It was TRILLING to unpack my crystal, china and sterling that I hadn't seen in three years.  Anxious to hold a party!  

The pantry
Pull out drawers everywhere.  Loving the new pantry, microwave is no longer at knee level, under cabinet lighting throughout.  

Small hutch on living room side
Sorry for the mess, I was packing when I decided I needed to take this picture.

Hutch is gone!
We moved my grandmothers secretary to this spot.  With the peninsula gone it completely opened up the space and we were able to move the sofa back three feet which solved the problems of feeling claustrophobic.

Many thank yous go out to our friends for feeding us, encouraging us, sharing our joys and annoyances.  This journey has been fun and frustrating, rewarding and outrageously expensive and I simply love it.  Hope to be able to entertain you in the very near future!

2 comments:

  1. Much better!! Did you know I'm in PHX? We'll habe to get together.

    Elizabeth Lipke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IM me in FB to let me know where you are; I'd love to get together. If you're on your way north (to Prescott) I have a lovely guest suite and would love to cook for you!

      Delete

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...