Sunday, October 21, 2018

Conversations about Brexit and showing up informed

I've been talking to Brits (and a pair of Scots) about Brexit.  The rally/demonstration rather intimidated me -- and one of my traveling friends got stuck in the middle of the madness which would have sent me to the insane asylum.  She was surrounded by people and had a big challenge trying to make her way through the throng to get back to the hotel.  Glad I didn't go on her tour.  (She went on a Harry Potter Walking Tour -- way not my interest)

 The Brexit  rally/demonstration was yesterday (Saturday).  They were expecting around 100,000 people to protest.  Conservative estimates say 750,000 to 1 million people showed up.

Every time I encounter a Brit (and two Scotsmen) I ask the question, if a majority of the people voted to leave the EU (Brexit), why are so many people revolting?  And the answer always seems to come back -- we were dupped.  Today I asked a youngish bartender what he thought and he immediately said, we were lied to!  "I thought I was supporting closing our borders, turns out there is more involved." 

Imagine that.

He now regrets voting to leave the EU and wants the opportunity to reverse his vote.  Turns out roughly a million Brits feel the same way enough to leave their homes (all over the country) and come to London to have that conversation. 

Interesting.

My youngish bartender (49 yrs old), said he didn't look closely not only at the decision, but the ramifications behind what a YES vote would do.  Evidently few people did.  He said he was embarrassed and just a bit ashamed because he believed the rhetoric instead of reading further and educating himself to the consequences of his vote.

So another twist.  You should consider learning more about the side you oppose to see if there is something there that you might have missed.  Don't always hang with the people who agree with your view.  I HATE talking politics because it rarely turns into a conversation/discussion but someone aggressively wanting to turn you to their side, instead of explaining WHY they feel/believe the way they do.  It turns into an us v them thing.  Which turns me off immediately.

For years, I lived and worked in a very small town.  As the community's credit union CEO I NEVER expressed a personal opinion.  I never divulged how I felt, but listened to all sides and shared none of my own.  Now, that seems to be ingrained in my nature.  But I implore you, whichever way you lean, educate yourself, talk to people who agree with you (and ask them why without divulging your own leanings) and talk to the people with opposing views and ask them why.  Then make up your own mind and vote.  VOTE!  Please, vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...