Sunday, December 24, 2017

Remembering the past

Back in the early 1920's my Grandfather, Walter J, was attending Princeton to earn his Master's degree (he eventually earned his PhD and taught at George Washington University, but that was later).  While at Princeton he joined a fraternity (I don't know which one, my daughter probably does). 

At any rate, he and his frat brothers all had girlfriends.  Walter was in love with Marie.  He loved her deeply.  I happen to know this because he saved everything that he felt was important.  So did Marie.  I have all their love letters while they were courting.  They are so very proper and sweet.

We always referred to Walter as Granddaddy and Marie as Rea.  While still in college his close frat brothers all decided to purchase candlestick holders.  They kept one and gave the mate to their girlfriends.  After all had married, only Walter J had a pair of candlesticks.


My mother ended up with the pair.  She only ever displayed one so I didn't find out the story until just a few years before she passed.  I was cleaning out some closets upstairs and found the mate!  I remember bringing it downstairs to match it up with the one on display and asked Mom about the significance.  She told me the story.  She had never liked the pair but thought the single one was more interesting.  After she passed and my brothers and I were splitting up the estate, I took one and my brother took the mate.  I have loved having mine in the living room in a place of honor.  Makes me remember my grandparents and my Mom. 

A week ago my daughter, Lori, texted me this picture with the caption:  Look what I found!


While it's not a twin (there are slight differences), I was thrilled!  "How much?" I demanded.  "Buy it now!" when she replied.

It was nasty when she arrived, but a bit of brass polish and elbow grease and it looks great!  The new one will be displayed in the downstairs great room.  They are clearly from the same foundry with different cups and slightly different base, all else is identical. 

I love family history.  I wonder how the second one came to be in an antique shop in Eureka, CA.  My grandparents lived in New York, Washington DC and Maine. 

Gary is recovering from the plague which he got 5 days ago and Lori is coming down with it.  It will be a quiet Christmas tomorrow, but I'm happy to have my family close by -- but not too close :)  Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris Cruise Day 1 and 2

 We're boarded.  We're in a terrific room with a "French Balcony."  Never heard of such a thing. Turns out we have a slidi...